Ryan excites Republicans

AP
Paul Ryan speaks to constituents in Virginia after being introduced as Romney’s vice presidential pick.

Paul Ryan speaks to constituents in Virginia after being introduced as Romney’s vice presidential pick. (AP)

Mitt Romney selected Paul Ryan as his vice presidential running mate on Aug. 11. Ryan, a fiscal conservative and House Republican, has changed the dynamics of the presidential election.

“Ryan has really energized the Republican base because they see him, unlike Romney, as one of them,” Matthew Wilson, SMU professor of political science, said.
Ryan, the GOP’s fiscal policy and budget expert, has consolidated Romney’s message to one of entitlement reform, austerity and tax reduction.

His budget intends to distribute savings in Medicare to lessening the federal deficits. He also plans to cut taxes across many income spectrums.

“He has been a warrior for smaller government and balanced budgets, and is able to talk about fiscal issues with real intelligence and deep knowledge,” Wilson said.

Many – conservatives and liberals alike – have criticized Romney for his previously moderate stances on issues from abortion to gay marriage to healthcare.

While the governor of Massachusetts, Romney often compromised with a liberal legislature on key pieces of legislation, including a healthcare bill that served as the foundation for Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

Ryan will help supplement and bolster Romney’s political record.

“Overall, Ryan is likely to strengthen the ticket because of the dynamism and sense of focus that he brings to it. For the strong fiscal conservatives, it’s hard to imagine a better choice,” Wilson said. “Plus, while social issues are not his main emphasis, he is solidly conservative on them, so he doesn’t open up any fissures in the base.”

Political pundits, especially on the left, have criticized Republican positions on tax cuts and entitlements ­- two issues at the center of Ryan’s plans for the nation.

Ryan will not necessary strengthen Romney’s critics.

“With or without Ryan on the ticket, Democrats were going to accuse Romney of wanting to give tax cuts to the wealthy and cut Medicare, so I don’t think much changes [will occur] there,” Wilson said.

Ryan’s selection has energized conservative SMU students.

“I think that the Romney campaign made a good decision in picking Ryan as the running mate. Romney has often been seen as a man who flips on every issue, and many Republicans worry about his true allegiance to the conservative cause,” Tyler Anderson, a junior, said.

Other students are hopeful that Ryan will help Romney defeat Obama in November.

“I think he’s the strong conservatism that this ticket needed,” Mehdi Hami, a sophomore, said.

“He will hold up Romney and really force this election to be about a choice for our collective future.”

However, Wilson warns that the race will still come down to Mitt Romney and his plans for the country.

“It’s important to remember that very few people vote for vice president, so we should be wary of talk about a ‘game-changing’ running mate.”