Trigg Burrage performs in Vegas

Photo courtesy of Trigg Burrage
Trigg Watson Burrage recently traveled to Nevada to perform his magic gig.

Trigg Watson Burrage recently traveled to Nevada to perform his magic gig. (Photo courtesy of Trigg Burrage)

Trigg Watson Burrage has more on his resume than just incredible balance. The SMU senior and legendary unicyclist, performed in his first professional magic gig on Thursday, Jan. 12.

Known by his stage name, Trigg Watson, he performed four times over the past weekend in a city famous for the magic business, Las Vegas.

“I’ve been to Vegas about seven or eight times, but I was excited to come here for my first show that I was professionally booked on,” Watson said.

Watson performed for Vegas Magic Theatre at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino. The show featured one main magician, Ben Stone, and four supporting magicians, which was where Watson came in.

Watson had a 10-minute act that included illusion tricks with some comedy, as well.

Watson is a Presidential Scholar at SMU, providing him a full scholarship for his four undergraduate years.

Majoring in the Cox School of Business and theatre in the Meadows School of the Arts, Watson has found a way to incorporate his two passions, business and performing, into his life.

Watson has accepted a consulting job at Deloitte Consulting in Dallas starting in the fall of 2012. However, Watson doesn’t plan on retiring his magic career anytime soon.

“I always want to perform in some capacity. Thankfully, a job in consulting requires me to travel quite a bit, so I hope to coordinate the two,” said Watson.

Watson’s balancing gift isn’t only applicable to his unicycle. He balances a consistent magic job and private bookings, even with his strenuous academic schedule.

He performs close-up magic at the Spaghetti Warehouse in downtown Dallas every Saturday night from 6:30 p.m. until 9 p.m.

As the restaurant’s resident magician, he travels from table to table, performing tricks. Watson has grown to love the intimacy of his acts there.

“Magic seems stronger right in my hands,” said Watson.

Creating a name for himself in the magic community has led Watson to impressive performance opportunities such as the Gold Coast Casino, and his one-man show in Indianapolis, Tricks of the Trade.

As a part of the Fringe Festival, Watson was invited back from his last year’s show, to perform Tricks of the Trade on Jan. 20.

Watson has landed gigs nation wide because of his past awards and recognition.

“I’ve had some amazing exposure and even had the chance to meet David Copperfield because of my competitions,” said Watson.

Watson won second place in the National Champion World Magic Seminar in 2008, and was awarded first place in the Texas Magicians Stage Contest in 2009. However, Watson believes one of his biggest accomplishments has been on SMU grounds.

Watson is president of T.R.E.A.T or Talent Recruitment Entertainment Agency Team. The organization explores talent acts ranging from magic to comedy, and holds open mic nights in the M Lounge located within SMU’s Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

“I’ve really enjoyed an opportunity to help foster new student talents,” said Watson.

Originally from Townsville, Australia, Watson moved to Louisiana at the age of 11 with a burning desire for magic.

“Growing up infatuated with the circus and entertaining, my passion has always been to be on stage,” said Watson.

With perseverance, magic has given Watson fulfillment that couldn’t be replaced.