Family of the Year’s ‘Loma Vista’ offers cool, catchy tunes

(L-R) Joseph Keefe, Christina Schroeter, Sebastian Keefe and James Buckey form indie band Family of the Year. (Courtesy)

The Los Angeles band Family of the Year is feel-good music from the start.

The up-and-comers have had many minor successes, such as being named as one of 2009’s “Must-Hear Artists” by the CMJ Music festival. The band’s sophomore effort, the July released “Loma Vista” solidifies their entrance onto the independent music scene.

Opening with soft acoustic strumming of the “The Stairs” the album has a lulling indie-rock vibe that sometimes verges on pop. Dealing with love, loss, heartbreak and staying up late enough to watch the sunrise, “Loma Vista” is likely to resonate with college students and all those who remember the joy of youth.

A vibe of happiness permeates the entire album: songs such as “St. Croix” and “Living on Love” are decidedly upbeat. “Loma Vista” has merits in musical depth as well, with songs such as “Hey Ma” containing private, letter-like lyrics and haunting piano.

Cohesion is maintained through Family of the Year’s dedication to an acoustic, free-spirited vibe. The crown jewel of the album “Hero” is not to be missed.

With plaintively crooned lyrics such as “so let me go/ I don’t wanna be your hero,” it is sure to evoke admiration by listeners. When listening to songs such as “In the End” and “Everytime” it is easy to forget that Family of the Year is not the casual band of misfits next door.

Even though one of the band’s lyrics state: “you cant get every little thing that you want,” the album “Loma Vista” delivers eleven songs that give the listener a little slice of indie-pop perfection.

Altogether soothing and upbeat all at once, “Loma Vista” is a must-download for fans of bands such as the Beach Boys and Mumford & Sons.

Make sure not to miss them as they take on Dallas on Nov. 9 at Trees to perform and promote their new album.

About

Currently based in Los Angeles, brothers Joseph and Sebastian Keefe were born in Wales, and moved to Martha’s Vineyard. James Buckey is from Jacksonville, Fla, while Christina Schroeter is from Orange County, Calif. Before forming Family of the Year, members Joseph Keefe and Sebastian Keefe enjoyed local Boston success in previous bands Unbusted and The Billionaires. The band has opened for stars like Ben Folds and has toured with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.