‘All Good Things’ benefits from director Jarecki’s vision, research

“All Good Things” is not your typical love story, in fact it’s a film about one of the most notorious unsolved murder mysteries in American history.

Academy Award nominated director Andrew Jarecki was so intrigued by the story of Robert Durst that he wanted to make a movie about it. He spent over 20 years researching the case in order to make one of the most compelling movies so far this year.

“I’ve always been fascinated by the story,” Jarecki said. “At its core it’s a love story that ended in the disappearance of this girl who was in medical school with only two months left.”

In his film, “All Good Things” Jarecki has created a portrait of the rich son of a business mogul and his beautiful wife, following them from their first meeting through her disappearance.

Although his film is only based on the events of Durst trial, he has smartly used a court scene later in the life of his character David Marks (Ryan Gosling), who is based on Durst, and takes his testimony to enter into flashbacks of David’s relationship with his wife Katie (Kirsten Dunst).

“During the trial his (Durst’s) lawyer decided to take the unsual step of putting him on the witness stand,” Jarecki said. “It was the first time he had spoken publicly about his life and his testimony is rather fascinating.”

This also gives the film an unreliable narrator, because the audience is given only the perspective of David Marks, who is obviously invested in the story. Just as the trial was left open, so the movie leaves the audience without a conviction.

Jarecki and the team he compiled to make the film did extensive research before filming and even made a 30-minute documentary style film to introduce everyone working on “All Good Things” to the facts of the trial.

“Because this story is original and somewhat bizarre, I wanted things to be grounded in the material of the original story,” Jarecki said. “I think some of the most interesting stuff that happens in life is reality– the unexpected can be chilling.”

“All Good Things” opens Jan. 21 and is playing at the Angelika in Mockingbird Station.