Thanks to the Bush Center for open streets

Just think about it.

On the first of May, it will all be over. The president will be back to handling domestic and foreign affairs. The former presidents will go back to golfing, boating, or skydiving, and the Bush Center will be open for business.

The Bush Center is a boon for this campus and its environs. A center for learning with the name of a former two-term president carved into it for all of posterity to see.

It is a beautiful structure that can be seen from the road that tells passersby on the interstate that SMU is a force to be reckoned with in the world of academia.

All of this is great, but the real benefit of the Bush Center’s opening for the student population is the opening of the roads and the relief from traffic congestion and lack of parking that forced everyone off campus to park downtown or skip school.

With the coming of the center means the road in front of Greek row is finally open again. It means people can enter the campus from the east with ease. No more traffic cones, no more trying to sneak around barriers in a car, no more wondering if the road you are driving down was recently made a one way again.

Stay with me now: this whole road thing is important. I’m not saying that the Bush center is a bad thing; it will probably end up putting us in or near the top 25 universities in the country before everything is said and done. But if you asked many students what the biggest headache on this campus is, anyone in their right mind with a car would say the road construction that was miraculously finished in time for the Bush Center to open.

Happy traffic cone liberation, everybody; especially to the Phi Delts, whose house was surrounded by construction material on both sides of its corner lot. I don’t know how y’all even got into your house for that four-month period between October and January.

Saul is a sophomore majoring in journalism.