Meadows satifies taste buds with chamber music

Meadows satisfies students’ sweet tooth and ears with chamber music and cookies. On Friday, a casual lunchtime concert called the Chamber Music Cookie Concert was a treat for audience members in the Taubman Atrium in the Owen Arts Center.

Six different performances filled the atrium with classical music that transported listeners away from the hustle- and-bustle.
The event provided an indulgent atmosphere for concert goers that skipped lunch and just had the cookies.

“I love the casual environment and the ability for music to be taken lightly. We spend so much time taking ourselves and our music so seriously that it’s refreshing to perform in a low-pressure environment,” senior classical guitar performance major Katrina Leshan said.

Period music from artists Albinoni, Mozart, and Paganini were all presented and provided for a relaxing break.

Meadows once again displayed its student talents with performances on pianos, trumpets and violins.

Chamber music is designed for an intimate setting between the performer and audience. Matt Albert, visiting artist-in-residence and director of chamber music, achieved the warm atmosphere with various sonatas and quartet pieces.

Also a notable violinist and violist, Albert is the co-founder of the Grammy-winning new music ensemble eighth blackbird.

“Not everybody has the chance to come to concerts late at night because they are busy,” sophomore vocal performance major Kelly Silverthorn said.

“To have the opportunity to come to this during the middle of the day, if you don’t have classes or during lunchtime, is a great way to get exposed to different types of music throughout Meadows.”

The Chamber Music Cookie Concert was free for the SMU community.

People can expect more events like this to take place at Meadows and bring a reprieve from the busy day.