Mad Men invites new audience

If the name Don Draper doesn’t evoke images of cigarettes, scotch whiskey and 1960’s corporate Manhattan in your mind, it is likely you have yet to see “Mad Men”, the dynamic and innovative dramatic television series featured on AMC.  

“Mad Men”, now in its fourth season, has already racked 13 Emmy’s and four Golden Globes, ranging from “Outstanding Series Drama” to various individual awards.

The show, set on Madison Ave. (thus the name “Mad Men”), and centered around the enigmatic character Draper, creates a stunningly accurate depiction of the corporate advertising world in 1960’s America. It also explores the controversial cultural challenges of this era stemming from women’s rights, patriarchal dominance, civil rights and homosexuality.  

While mainly focusing on the conflicted main character Draper and the daily workings of the ad agency Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, the apparent nuances of all these societal changes taking place during this coming of age period for our country are presented in a subtle yet powerful manner.

Beyond the plot, the show’s influence has undeniably spilled over into present day fashion. Many of the clean-cut, slim-fitting, streamlined suits and other outfits have seen somewhat of a resurgence in popularity.  Retailer Banana Republic has even teamed up with the show to promote an open casting call available to the public, where individuals submit photos and could eventually win a walk-on role with the show.  

On top of this, there has been a resurgence in classic and simple cocktail styles, which are continuously featured throughout the show and are always highlighting the Draper favorite, the Old-fashioned.

This year’s fourth season, already coming to a close, began with a re-organizing of the agency and with what has proven to be a fresh start for the firm as well for each of the characters.

But with this fresh start have come many challenges, ranging from the difficulties of impressing clients, keeping up with the radically changing social spectrum of America, and the personal struggles of each character as they deal with their own complex dilemmas away from the office.

For anyone wanting to embark upon becoming a “Mad Men” regular (and it is tight social club), season four would be an excellent starting point, considering all the new doors that have been opened for the story line.  

However, in order to take full advantage of this wonderfully original series, it must be recommended that every season be viewed in order. This will build a better understanding of each character, given that the series is largely dependent upon each of their decisions and their rationale behind them.