Finding time for fun in the midst of hectic schedules

With only a few more busy weeks standing between students and sweet summertime, it seems harder than ever to stay calm and focused in all areas of life.

It’s important not to let one area of your life – school – get in the way of others. It can be difficult to find time and a way to de-stress, but it’s essential for maintaining balance in life.

My favorite hobby that I have had since childhood is horseback riding. I’ve been an equestrian for 11 years of my life.

This is really the first time since learning how to ride that I haven’t been able to ride my horse every day. I go riding on the weekends when I can, but lately that has been less and less often.

There are a lot of things about riding that I miss now that it isn’t a part of my everyday life. For example, I miss the comfortable friendship that I feel when I’m with my horse.

I also miss the connection to nature that being outside in the rolling Texas hill country gives me, and the invigorating exercise I get from riding and working in the stable.

But now that I live in the heart of Dallas, my life has changed. I’ve had to focus on new ways of enjoying beautiful days and releasing stress.

Balance is crucial in life because it prevents burnout. It’s good to be challenged at school and work, but you also need a way to channel that tension out of your body. Otherwise, you risk your own personal happiness and the quality of your work. An imbalance in one area affects all areas of life.

So if you find yourself overwhelmed with studying and working, plan time for yourself to take a break and do something you enjoy.

Planning breaks into your regular schedule helps you incorporate them into your day without feeling guilty. In fact, placing a break in between study sessions can be a very productive method.

Spending some time alone can also be beneficial, particularly if your social life is rather hectic. A quiet walk or run around campus, a picnic on the lawn in front of Dallas Hall, or a night of entertainment at Meadows are all great escapes from academic pressures.

Learning to stay centered in life in the midst of all the pressures students face isn’t easy.

Until summer gets here, it might almost seem impossible. But just trying to incorporate small pleasures into your day can make a big difference in how you feel and how your mind functions.

Ashcraft is a junior majoring in journalism.