Award-winning foreign film shines in theaters

%E2%80%9CThe+Kid+with+a+Bike%E2%80%9D++was+directed+by+renowned+Belgian+film+maker+brothers%2C+Jean-Pierre+and+Luc+Dardenne.+
Photo Courtesy of IFC FIlms
“The Kid with a Bike” was directed by renowned Belgian film maker brothers, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne.

“The Kid with a Bike” was directed by renowned Belgian film maker brothers, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne. (Photo Courtesy of IFC FIlms)

Apart from many American films that are saturated with supernatural themes and special effects, foreign films offer the audience member a simpler, more organic experience.

The Belgian film, “The Kid with a Bike” does just this.

As Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, “The Kid with a Bike” is a dramatic and touching film that utilizes the simplest of plots.

The film revolves around a emotionally disturbed 11-year-old boy named Cyril, played by Thomas Doret.

Cyril struggles with abandonment and acceptance. His father moves away from town, without giving notice, and leaving Cyril in foster care.

Cyril’s bike is his only token from his father and seems to be his only prized possession.

Without a stable guardian looking after the troubled Cyril, a single hairdresser, played by Cécil de France, unexpectedly takes him under her wing.

Essentially being the only positive and loving adult in his life, the hairdresser is crucial to Cyril’s well being.

However, as forseen, Cyril winds up in a criminal situation with the most despised juvenile delinquent in town.

Regardless of Cyril’s charges and intolerable behavior, the hairdresser continues to care for Cyril as her son.

The sequence of predictable events throughout “The Kid with a Bike” may evoke only boredom from the American viewer, but the absence of unlikely star-crossed love stories and immature humor makes “The Kid with a Bike” a respectable film.

The film’s duration lasts a short 87 minutes and includes little to no emotion-evoking background music.

Dallas residents will only have a short time to see this award winning film in theaters. “The Kid with the Bike” will be showing at the Angelika Film Center in Mockingbird station until April 12.

If you are willing to take a break from a sci-fi thriller or a sappy chick flick (and you don’t mind subtitles) “The Kid with a Bike” is a perfectly refreshing option.