Inspired senior responds to staff writer

A nostalgic look back at fleeting university years

Rebecca,

I LOVED the article “Memoirs of a senior.” It really moved me because I seriously empathized with everything that was said.

This is a scary, yet incredibly exciting time in our lives when we decide to pursue our dreams with all of our hearts or not. A couple days ago, I went to the career fair, and I’m not going to lie, there were a ton of great companies there, but I just didn’t feel “excited” to be doing the whole “real world / job” thing.

At that moment, I realized just how important our time here on campus is. We all possess the ability to impact and influence others—whether it be a smile or simple compliment! We have the power to change lives.

I then realized that this was my calling: as cliché as this may sound, I want to be a blessing to others and to CHANGE the world!

People often get caught up in the technicalities and details of what the future holds.

Here’s a tip: When you find your passion, DO NOT put a label, major or a job title on it. A passion is not an ability, but an emotion – a state of mind where you can work late hours into the night and have all the energy in the world!

I want to change the world. What does that look like exactly?

Well, I know I will be able to utilize my skills, education and relationships to achieve my objective. But once I have completed the task at hand, I have the privilege of taking a step back and saying, “OK, now how else can I be a blessing to others?”

This opens the door to possibility, to another career, another city or maybe even a new companion. My point is simple: Don’t EVER limit yourself.

You are powerful beyond belief; all you have to do now is believe it!

I don’t know where that rant came from, but I know that it has been stirring inside of me and came out as a result of your inspirational writing. Thank you, Rebecca, and keep up the good work! And don’t be afraid to Dream Big!

Respectfully,

James Matthew Parker

James Parker is a senior majoring in marketing . He can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected]