‘Arab Spring’ offers complex results

Over the last year, a series of civilian uprisings have changed not just the political landscape but also the fundamental way people live across countries in the Middle East. A number of increasingly violent street demonstrations in Tunisia sparked what could well be the greatest revolution of its kind in history: The Arab Spring.

A number of nations have brought down dictatorial governments and given themselves the opportunity to rebuild their countries the way they see fit. However, what remains to be seen is whether the millions of voices that united to achieve their goal of freedom can agree on how to start anew, while also standing firm against several external factors that can determine the futures of their respective nations.

Tunisia’s success in ousting long time president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali led to a similar explosion of public outrage against Egypt’s (Former) President Hosni Mubarak. While protests in Egypt started peacefully, they soon turned violent when pro-Mubarak activists held a counter-protest.

However, Mubarak ultimately stepped down and power was handed to the army who dissolved the government, suspended the Constitution of Egypt, lifted the country’s emergency laws and promised to hold free, open elections.

There have been similar developments in numerous other countries of the region, including the very recent and violent Libyan uprising that began after it’s people witnessed the Tunisian revolution’s success. These protests were perhaps the bloodiest of all with the intervention of NATO and it’s bombing campaign against pro-Gaddafi forces.

While the bloodshed and violence has taken its toll, Gaddafi and his family are no longer in power and Libyans throughout the country are rejoicing at the opportunity to rebuild their nation and start over.

The uprisings have received widespread support from most governments and people across the world. However, each of the revolutionized nations is at a crucial point in its respective history. It would be foolhardy to ignore the possibility of power being handed to those who are weak administrators, have ulterior motives or shaky ideals.

On top of everything, they must also be extremely wary of being influenced by the charming words of outsiders who wish to use the rejuvenated countries for their own benefit.

Al Qaeda, for example, see the change in the Arab World as an opportunity to spread their ideologies. It is of little surprise that they have complimented them on their victorious struggles and have begun to spread their propaganda against America. They have advised the Arab countries to be wary of America, who want to, in the words of Al Qaeda Chief Ayman al Zawahiri, “replace one tyrant after another.”

However, it seems the terrorist outfit is late to the party in terms of influencing the movement. All its anti-American statements have been relatively baseless in this case and contrary to all evidence.

Perhaps the most important aspect to note from all the uprisings is the reversal of political disillusionment among the people in the affected areas. They no longer feel powerless and have set a precedent that citizens can raise their voice and make a difference against what they believe is wrong.

However, it is important to make sure that any changes that occur ultimately benefit the entire nation and world. The people of many Arab countries now hold the key to their future. It is essential that they not lose focus of what they had set out to achieve and must be cautious of not falling back into the hole they have finally clawed their way out of.

Akbar Iqbal is a junior majoring in psychology and business. He can be reached for comment at [email protected]