Protect Mother Earth

With Earth Day coming up tomorrow, I thought it would be fitting to suggest some ways to make our world a better place.

First of all, we all know we choose actions that, most of the time, make our individual lives easier. However, if everyone takes the easy way, what will happen to future generations?

Do we really want them to suffer from our mistakes? I am not asking for an immediate overhaul of all non-eco-friendly behaviors; rather, I ask you to slowly work your way towards good behavior.

Here are some examples of how choosing the right option, rather than the easy one, can result in a better overall living condition for both you and the rest of the world.

Recycling is almost synonymous with being environmentally friendly. However, many people still do not recycle even though it takes little effort. All around campus there are options to recycle cans, paper, plastic and glass items, all of which we use every day. I am a pretty big soda drinker, so I like to buy soda cans at the store; however, aluminum cans are probably the hardest-to-make containers of all food or drink items. The process by which we make those items is very energy intensive, but by reusing aluminum cans, the amount of energy is reduced dramatically, saving a lot of money for everyone. For those living in the dorms here at SMU, it takes the exact amount of effort to recycle as it does to put something in the trash. So put in the effort to recycle.

Turning off the lights, in my opinion, requires the least amount of effort when making greener choices, yet everyone on occasion forgets to turn them off; I even forget to turn them off sometimes. I literally look into the bathroom, see no one there, notice the light is on and continue about my business. It is a silly mistake to make, yet people make it all the time. Turning off the light not only saves the environment, it also saves on your electric bill.

The same thing applies to letting the water run or leaving the air conditioner or heater on when you are not there.

Another good habit to pick up is to find greener alternatives to almost everything you do. If you drive to school, try to carpool with friends; that way, less gas is wasted caravanning only one person. If you are close enough to campus, consider walking or riding a bicycle.

Use reusable water bottles rather than pay for water bottles every time you need a drink. Use greener light bulbs in your house or apartment. There are many other, greener alternatives to products you own, so consider switching and saving over the long run. I’d rather reuse one water bottle than buy 1,000 water bottles for the span of a year.

Being green is not too hard to do and it saves both you and the earth in the long run. We toss away completely usable items, and I would like that habit to change. Find ways to reduce what you use both at home and at school, reuse what you can or donate it to someone else who could use it instead, and recycle as much as you can, allowing others to continue to use those products.

Have a great Earth Day tomorrow and treat her right.

Bryan Manderscheid is a freshman engineering major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected]