Meadows’ programs top Dallas Critics list

Meadows School of the Arts has made its way onto a number of critic’s lists in the Dallas area.

In addition to be recognized in numerous categories, SMU is the only university on the list to feature student performance as winners.

First, Manny Mendoza of “Morning News” recognized the Meadows Dancers in his top ten list.

Additionally, Margaret Putnam, a dance critic of “TheatreJones” put SMU’s Fall Dance Performance at number seven.

Meadows dancers work on modern, jazz and ballet to complete their B.F.A.

The unique part of SMU’s dance program is the amount of student choreography that is performed.

Brown Bag Dance Series is held twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring.

At these performances, dancers present their own choreography with selected students from the program.

Brown Bag and all of the SMU dance performances are highlights of undergraduate students of all majors.

Scott Cantrell of “Dallas Morning News” is a classical music critic who thoroughly enjoyed the Meadows Symphony Orchestra “Meadows at the Meyerson.” The concert featured a symphony by Mahler.

The music program at SMU is very competitive in who they accept due to the fact that it is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.

Within the study of music at SMU there are opportunities to take private lessons, perform at Dallas concert halls and learn music theory from the talented faculty that we hold at SMU.

This talented faculty was also mentioned in Dallas reviews.

For instance, Clifton Forbis the Meadows voice department head was listed as number one of Gregory Sullivan Isaacs’s “TheaterJones” list.

Cantrell ranked Alessio Bax as number six for his Dallas City Hall piano performance and named Bax’s CD “Brahms: Piano Works” in the top 5 classical CDs of 2012.

Making the list of the Region’s professional musicians, dancers and performers is an enormous accomplishment for SMU.