Student Body Secretary-Elect Martha Pool commits to working hard, serving SMU student body

First of all, I want to thank the SMU student body for its overwhelming vote of confidence last Wednesday and Thursday.

I am sure that the thought crossed your minds that it seems pointless to vote for an unopposed candidate; however, please know that every vote serves as a tangible reminder that my fellow students believe in me and the ideals stated in my campaign platform. Your support means the world to me and motivates me to be the best student body secretary that I can possibly be.

I propose to serve you not only by performing the duties of Student Body Secretary listed in the SMU Student Body Constitution—including maintaining senate records, assisting with the planning and direction of senate for the upcoming year, working with the executive committee to ensure that legislation passed is effectively implemented and overseeing the revision the Student Code of Conduct ­—to the best of my ability, but also by working to fulfill the commitments I made in my election platform.

My goals for the upcoming year include continuing the work that I have already started, especially addressing the needs and concerns of various communities on campus such as the veterans, transfer students and athletes.

I also plan to increase communication between Student Senate, the SMU student body, and administration and to advance organization and efficiency within Senate. Additionally, I will do my best to support both student organizations and individuals, promote campus unity and school spirit and remain open to any and all suggestions that the student body or administration have for making a great school even better.

I also plan to work together with Austin and Alex to ensure that their campaign platforms come to fruition. As a team, I think that we can accomplish a lot of good for our university, including petitioning for more reading days, à la carte parking passes, earlier syllabi, a higher percentage of scholarships that grow proportional to the increases in our school’s cost of attendance and increased campus safety.

I am passionate about making a difference within the SMU community, and I am thrilled to have this opportunity to represent my fellow

Mustangs: during the next school year. I commit to serve you to the very best of my ability; I will go above and beyond to listen and be here for you. I always welcome your opinions and feedback.

Please feel free to email or call me anytime with questions, comments, or concerns. With your help and participation, I think that we can make this upcoming year the best in SMU history!

Martha Pool is a first year political science and accounting double major. She can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].