Rising soprano featured in SMU opera performance

Dee Donasco sings the lead in SMU’s Meadows Opera Theatre’s ‘The Marriage of Figaro’
HANK HAMMETT/SMU
“Figaro,” the opera composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, performed by The Meadows Opera Theatre, and

“Figaro,” the opera composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, performed by The Meadows Opera Theatre, and (HANK HAMMETT/SMU)

SMU student Dee Donasco will take on one of the longest and most prestigious soprano roles in opera Thursday.

The Meadows Opera Theatre, in collaboration with the Meadows Symphony, will be performing the Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart opera, “The Marriage of Figaro.”

The performance will be held in the Owens Art Center at the Meadows School of Arts.

Performances will be held at 8 p.m. through Saturday along with a 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday.

As a current SMU Performer’s Diploma candidate, Donasco will sing her fourth leading opera role with the Meadows Opera Theatre.

“Dee will be the maid, Susanna, who is one of the central figures of the opera,” said SMU voice lecturer Dale Dietert.

As a voice teacher for Meadows, Dietert has been a voice coach for Donasco for more than three years.

This spans Donasco’s entire tenure, including both her Master’s degree and her Performer’s Diploma at SMU.

Donasco has been considered for a Performer’s Diploma because of her career potential within opera.

“A Voice PD student studies voice privately, opera, private coaching dealing with language, style, musicality and presentation,” Dietert said.”They also take an acting class geared for opera singers.”

Acting and dancing are also considered essential parts in creating a quality performance.

Danny Buraczeski, SMU dance professor and choreographer for the Meadows Opera Theatre, enjoys every opportunity to work with Director of Opera Hank Hammett in addition to students like Donasco.

“Everyone in the opera division is so musical,” Buraczeski said. “They are game for anything. I could tell them to stand on their heads, and they would do it.”

Hammett encourages everyone to come enjoy the opera’s domestic comedy plot.

The Beaumarchais play includes battles between the 1 percent and the 99 percent as well as battles between the sexes.

“‘The Marriage of Figaro’ is a great ‘first opera’ for many reasons, so I would encourage anyone with no previous opera experience to join us at one of the four performances,” Hammett said. “It’s the quality of an outstanding festival production, not something you would associate with a university production. But that’s the kind of work we do here at Meadows and we’re so proud of our students, their talents and their skill sets.”

As director of opera, Hammett has had the opportunity to work with Donasco for six years, and four operas.

“The role of Susanna fits Dee perfectly. It suits her voice and her energetic and sparkling personality,” Hammett said. “Both Susanna and Dee are sweet, charming, fiery, loyal and loving.”

Donasco’s ability to solidify direction for recitals has led her to many early accomplishments.

Donasco has augmented her artistic credibility in her first performance with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra on New Year’s Eve of 2011.

She gratefully received a standing ovation for the Russian Arias when she sang in a sold-out concert at the Meyerson Symphony Center, according to SMU Meadows news and events.

Donasco has also been selected to be an apprentice artist at the prestigious Chautauqua Opera Festival in summer 2012 and a 2011 regional finalist of the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions (Southwest Region), according to SMU Meadows news and events.

Her role as Susanna in the “Marriage of Figaro” is expected to awe audiences.

Hammett is convinced that “The Marriage of Figaro” has “some of the most melodious and beautiful music you will ever hear in your life.”

The Meadows Symphony’s renowned Conductor Paul Phillips will direct Mozart’s incredible arias and ensembles.

Phillips will conduct for The Meadows Opera Theatre students as they unfold the playful and comedic opera.

The Meadows Opera Theatre and Meadows Symphony are proud to present this performance to experienced “operagoers” and to those who aren’t as acquainted.

“Best of all, the opera is a lot of fun,” Hammett said. “If you think you don’t like opera, give us a chance to change your minds.”

To purchase tickets contacts Meadows box office.