‘Bernie’ tells true Texas crime

Bernie+Tiede%2C+played+by+Jack+Black%2C+is+the+prime+example+of+a+goody+two+shoes+who+goes+to+show+that+anyone+can+snap+under+pressure.++
Photo Courtesy of Millennium Entertainment
Bernie Tiede, played by Jack Black, is the prime example of a goody two shoes who goes to show that anyone can snap under pressure.

Bernie Tiede, played by Jack Black, is the prime example of a goody two shoes who goes to show that anyone can snap under pressure. (Photo Courtesy of Millennium Entertainment )

Texas Monthly’s Skip Hollandsworth has made his mark in Hollywood.

Based off Hollandsworth’s 1998 bizarre murder story “Midnight in the Garden of East Texas,” the comedy “Bernie,” starring Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey was born.

Produced in documentary style, “Bernie” is the true story of a Texas man whose southern hospitality has reached its limit.

Bernie Tiede was one of Carthage’s most charitable and friendly citizens, which came in handy as he was the assistant mortician at Carthage’s Hawthorn Funeral Home.

Bernie takes it upon himself to be the equivalent an Eagle Scout in Carthage, and comforts every mourning person in town – even the miserable and pretentious widow, Marjorie Nugent.

Marjorie initially resists Bernie’s TLC, but soon woos him over with lavish trips and assigns him as her personal assistant.

With all of her family despising her selfish and demanding personality, Marjorie soon arranges for Bernie to eventually inherit her estate and millions of dollars her late husband accumulated.

Being incapable of insulting anyone if he tried, Bernie becomes less and less able to take on Marjorie’s hatefulness and snaps.

He shot her, and stuck her in a freezer.

After nine months of spending $600,000 of Marjorie’s money ( not a dime on himself) Marjorie’s death eventually surfaced.

Carthage cannot fathom Bernie killing a fly and sides with him, rather than the vicious widow.

Unfortunately, Bernie accepts the blame and serves a life sentence in prison, teaching crafts and cooking to inmates.

Black’s humorous performance in many movies has been far from satisfactory, however the job he does with Bernie is superb.

McConaughey, a native of East Texas, had an advantage on the southern accent but also provided a commendable performance.

McConaughey’s mother, Kay McConaughey, landed a speaking role in the movie as well.

The East Texan actors were the ones who truly summoned the most laughter in the theater The cynical script made fun of East Texan characters but made the audience love them simultaneously.

Richard Linklater, director of “Bernie,” and other classic films such as “School of Rock and “Dazed and Confused,” contacted Hollandsworth immediately knowing this content would provide for a great film.

Co-writing “Bernie,” Hollandsworth and Linklater have created genuine comedic insight into the small-town life of East Texas.

“Bernie” is a gem of a film as it relays one of Texas’ most interesting stories and entertains the audience while doing it.

“Bernie” opens in theaters on April 29 across the nation. I reckon y’all should see it.