Tacos take the title as the new trendy treat

DIGG%E2%80%99s+Taco+Shop%2C+located+on+Hilcrest+Avenue+across+from+the+Umphrey+Lee+Center%2C+is+one+of+the+many+locations+in+the+Dallas+area+to+capitalize+on+the+taco+shop+trend.+In+addition+to+tacos%2C+DIGG%E2%80%99s+also+sells+hamburgers+and+slow-cooked+brisket.+
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
DIGG’s Taco Shop, located on Hilcrest Avenue across from the Umphrey Lee Center, is one of the many locations in the Dallas area to capitalize on the taco shop trend. In addition to tacos, DIGG’s also sells hamburgers and slow-cooked brisket.

DIGG’s Taco Shop, located on Hilcrest Avenue across from the Umphrey Lee Center, is one of the many locations in the Dallas area to capitalize on the taco shop trend. In addition to tacos, DIGG’s also sells hamburgers and slow-cooked brisket. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Move over cupcakes and frozen yogurt, a new food trend has hit Dallas and this time it comes in the form of a taco.

Stepping away from the many dessert trends, we can move onto the new trend of taco shops and restaurants.

This trend has hit unexpectedly, but with numerous taco shops and restaurants appearing around town, you can’t help but notice everyone has tacos on their mind.

These taquerias don’t come solely in the style of Tex-Mex, but styles from all over the country and world.

With two locations near campus, it is very apparent that Chipotle Mexican Grill: Gourmet Burritos and Tacos has grown in popularity over the past few years.

The influence Chipotle has had on the community has helped the Latin cuisine grow in popularity as well.

This influence has spread far and wide proving taco shops to be a sure-fire idea for a restaurant.

Here on SMU’s campus, students can see the taco trend first hand in The MARKET, located on the main level of Hughes-Trigg Student Center. Montague’s Deli, that was located in The MARKET, has recently been replaced with a taco and burrito grill that closely imitates Chipotle’s cuisine.

Off campus, SMU is surrounded by taco shops in all directions giving students and residents many options in their search for a great taco.

Directly across the street from campus, at 6309 Hillcrest Ave., is DIGG’s Taco Shop. DIGG’s, which opened earlier this year, has quickly become a favorite for students during and after school. Their small menu has options ranging from tacos to quesadillas and burritos.

On some nights, DIGG’s Taco Shop even offers live music with drink deals and other special events.

With its closest location in Mockingbird Station, Urban Taco:

Modern Mexican Taqueria has established itself as “the first upscale taqueria in Dallas.”

Happy Hour is offered at Urban Taco everyday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and offers great deals on drinks.

Other shops around town include Rusty Taco located at 4802 Greenville Ave. and Fuzzy’s Taco Shop located at 6465 E Mockingbird Lane.

With this new food trend well underway, there are plenty of taco shop options around town to see what all the talk is about.

Taco shops are a great place for students to go because they are very affordable and filling. Plus, most of these shops have a great ambiance.