Owls down SMU men’s tennis, 4-1

The SMU men’s tennis team traveled to Tulsa, Okla. this past weekend to compete in the C-USA tournament at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.

The first round was played on Friday afternoon where SMU defeated UAB 4-0. This win improved the Mustangs’ record to 17-8 on the season.

First up was doubles play with Tobias Flood and Joseph Hattrup at line one who defeated Tom Puetz and David Zimmerman of UAB 8-4.

Adham el-Effendi and Darren Walsh were at line two against Chris Helliar and Danny Manlow. They edged past UAB’s duo 8-6.

Last of the court was nationally ranked Gaston Cuadranti and Artem Baradach, they were the only loss for the Mustangs in doubles play and they fell 8-5 to Lucas Dirube and Daniel Moser.

Thanks to the two earlier wins in doubles play, SMU took the doubles point and made the score 1-0 going into singles play. David Costa, Cuadranti and Mischa Nowicki all put on strong performances in singles play to make the final score 4-0 and suspended play due to the four wins.

After the quarterfinal win, the Mustangs advanced to the semifinals which were played Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. They were set to play the winner of the Rice/Tulane match, and Rice won.

The doubles play was switched up just a little bit for this match, el-Effendi paired with Walsh to defeat the Owl’s pairing of Christian Saravia and Michael Nuesslein 8-4. Cuadranti and Baradach also took home a win and sealed the doubles point for the Mustangs after their win over Peter Frank and Sam Garforth-Bies 8-5.

During singles play the tables were turned; Rice picked up four straight wins to advance to the finals.

Flood fell to Nuesslein 6-0, 6 -2 and Nowicki lost to Garforth-Bies 6-4, 6-1.

Walsh and Baradach faced three setters against their opponents, and were both defeated. No. 47 Baradach was upset by No. 108 Harry Fowler.

This match was SMU’s last of the season, and made their final season record 17-9. The team member’s final matches will be determined upon qualifying in the NCAA championships at Stanford at the end of May.