Interracial body swap film “The Takeover” debuts on YouTube

A road block to peace
A road block to peace

A still from Shequeta L. Smith’s new comedic short film, “The Takeover” accessible on YouTube now. (Courtesy of AP)

With the rise of webisodes, Hulu series and TV on the internet, it only makes sense that “The Takeover” short film is debuting on YouTube.

The new comedy is making its Internet premiere on Valentine’s Day.

“The Takeover” centers around an African American woman discussing the issues of dating as a black woman with her Caucasian, fashion designer friend.

Directed by Shaqueta L. Smith and set in Los Angeles, this short leaves audiences with the video’s cliche theme of “Is the grass always greener on the other side?”

Over the course of the film, the two women swap lives for a single day.

This short film premiered on Valentine’s Day due to its romantic genre.

It stars “Scrubs” guest star, Chrystee Pharris, Lindsey Santefort of “Castle” and Mykee Selkin of “House” and “All My Children.”

Selkin plays Garrett, Santefort plays Ashley and Pharris plays Tisha.

Also in the cast, playing the role of Yoshi, is Ruben Vernier. 

This film is convenient due to its Internet release; it can be watched during a break via iPhone or laptop easily.

Shaqueta has experience in screen writing as she has been apart of the writing team for “Everybody Hates Chris” and “Flavor of Love.”

After working as a college representative for Def Jam/Roc-A-Fella Records, Shequeta was able to discover her passion for writing and directing films.

Presently, her company is called Rayven Choi Films where they are in the process of making their first feature film, “Rock The Mic.” Shequeta has written one other short film titled, “The J.H. Gunn Project.”

Music in the film plays a role itself with tunes from Maroon 5’s PJ Morton, Mishal Moore, The Eskies and Sienna Spalding.

The opening scene features interesting comic book artwork to introduce the characters due to the fact that the main character is a comic book artist.

If you’re interested in getting a glimpse into the dating scene in California than this movie is a good start.

For more information, visit www.thetakeoverfilm.com.