Stars light up Granada

By Jordan McCurdy

As the sun set on Dallas on Saturday night, the indie-rock band from Canada, Stars, lit up the Granada.

The lights dimmed, the crowd silenced and Torquil Campbell’s (vocalist) silhouette took the stage, melodica in hand.

After the first few chords were struck, the stage became illuminated with intricate light schemes, effectively setting the scene for the atmospheric voices of both Campbell and Amy Millan.

Despite Millan’s newly announced pregnancy, the duo fashioned an energy that filled the room and lured some band members into the lively crowd.

Playing an even-handed mix of songs from both new and old albums, Stars kept the mood upbeat and ornamented the audience with their iconic long-stemmed, white roses, sporadically throwing handfuls of pedals into the crowd.  

Halfway through their set of heavy melodies and profound lyrics, the lights dimmed again except this time, Campbell exited.

A French horn and trombone replaced the previous sounds of the synth and hard drumbeats and the lyrics took on a euphoric persona as Millan began a solo show complete with a bubble machine.

Millan’s nuanced voice and supporting classical intrumentals  cast a tranquil blanket over the audience that lasted for the brevity of time she remained alone.

Her second half soon rejoined her as, together, they belted out the last few songs; Campbell banging on his synth, and Millan jamming out on her electric guitar.

With the release of their new album in late June 2010, I became skeptical as to whether the band would be able to hold on to their unique sound much longer.

Though a hit among most, “The Five Ghosts & The Séance” takes listeners on an alarming trip into pop- influenced choruses and predictable turns in melody, greatly differing from both “Set Yourself on Fire” and “In Our Bedroom After the War.”

However, following last night’s show, Stars proved that they are capable of holding on to their distinguished sound, regardless of the track or album.

Each performed song is given its own vocal component that only Campbell and Millan could possibly pull off, keeping a stronghold on their ability to distinguish themselves from the mainstream.