Mustangs claim victory despite cold, snow

SMU improves overall record to 5-3

Over the weekend, SMU men’s tennis improved their record to 5-3 when they defeated Conference USA opponent, University of Southern Mississippi, in a 6-1 win.

The Mustangs were supposed to play a match against Lamar University on Thursday, Feb. 11, but were forced to re-schedule the match due to weather.

But the match against the Golden Eagles still took place despite the foot of snow that surrounded the courts at Turpin Tennis Center. The Mustangs won what is being called the first “Snow Bowl”.

Head coach Carl Neufeld said in an interview with smumustangs.com, “Most teams wouldn’t have tried to play in these conditions, but our staff did a great job of getting the courts ready for play and our players battled through the conditions to beat a very good Southern Miss team.”

SMU took two of three in doubles matches to take the point and the momentum early on in the match. That momentum carried into the singles matches, where the Mustangs took five of six.

In the No.1 spot, SMU junior Artem Baradach defeated Southern Miss’  Patricio Alvarado in three sets (3-6, 6-3, 6-4) which improved his overall record to 4-2. Alvarado came into the match ranked the No. 11 singles player in the Southern region.

Freshman Pablo Perez-Espanaola also won his match (6-4, 6-4) and is now 6-1 in singles matches for the season. On the season, the Mustangs are now ranked No. 68 in the nation, up one spot from last week.

The match against Lamar has been re-scheduled to March 28.