Deep Ellum drinks up

Dallas’ arts and entertainment hot-spot is the home of a new business catching the attention of the local 21-and-over crowd—introducing Deep Ellum Brewing Company (DEBC), the Big D’s first in-city brewery.

In the spirit of Dallas Beer Week, Dallas’ WFAA visited the newest brewery located in the “deep end” of the district at the corner of Malcolm X and St. Louis.

The DEBC brew-masters showcased a homemade beer, which is an infused version of their Double Brown Stout. According to Drew Huerter, the company’s head brewer, the beverage is like Mexican hot chocolate, with “chocolate, chipotle, vanilla and a little bit of cinnamon just to keep things interesting.”

Founded in 2010 by John Reardon, Deep Ellum Brewing Co. opened about a month ago and celebrated with a launch party at The Common Table on Nov. 12 with music, food and of course, drinks. The event also kicked off Dallas Beer Week, a series of events around Dallas featuring beers from Texas and around the globe, which goes until Friday. The launch party was the first opportunity for beer-lovers to purchase the locally made alcoholic beverages where four different brews were tapped.

Reardon, a former Dallas bar owner, used to be a home brewer. The DEBC founder formed a connection with fans long before construction began on brick warehouse in Deep Ellum on June 17 through his blog.

The new brewery will produce over 5,000 barrels of beer a year.

DEBC is “dedicated to making extraordinary beers and supporting all things local.” According the DEBC’s Facebook page, the locals are giving the brewery a warm welcome.

“We love what you guys are doing! So pumped to get a day off to imbibe!” the folks behind 3 Men and a Taco, a Dallas food truck, posted.

Likewise, James DeBoi wrote on the DEBC’s wall, “The two beers were fantastic. I am look forward to many more in the future.”

Although The Common Table is currently the first and only place to purchase DEBC products, Reardon hopes to gain more distributors as the company gets started.

Reardon and his employees are also planning an inauguration party that will likely take place Nov. 23 and will include a toy drive to get consumers in the holiday spirit.

DEBC fans will be able to visit the brewery’s tasting room and sample the local recipes by early next year.

Until then, follow DEBC to all their Dallas Beer Week events to get a taste of their Double Brown Stout or their Backslider Blonde Ale.

Join the brewery at Cane Rosso for a beer dinner on Wednesday or at Trinity Hall on Thursday. To conclude the week’s festivities, DEBC is offering a special tour on Nov. 18 at their home in the heart of Deep Ellum: 2821 St. Louis St., Dallas, TX 75226.