Meadows dancers perform to benefit AIDS service organizations

The 30-year anniversary of the discovery of AIDS is this year. Charles Santos, the executive director of the Texas International Theatrical Arts Society in Dallas, selected Millicent Johnnie, a dance professor at SMU, as a choreographer for the AIDS performance on Dec. 6 at the AT&T Performing Arts Center.

Santos has been the executive director for 10 years, and has been working with AIDS programs since 1992. This specific performance is called A Gathering: The Dallas Arts Community Reflects on 30 Years of AIDS.

“All of the proceeds from the show will benefit one of Dallas’ four leading AIDS service organizations: AIDS Arms, AIDS Interface Network, AIDS Services Dallas, and Resource Center Dallas,” Santos said.

Johnnie has been a dance instructor at SMU for three years. Santos chose her along with four other choreographers to make the show.

“After I selected all of the music for the show I went to the choreographers and told them exactly what I needed. I chose Millicent because of her contemporary modern style with references to African movements. She really understands African music so she was perfect for the show. She is great and we are lucky to have her talent in the Dallas community,” Santos said.

After Santos invited Johnnie to be in the show, she selected the dancers she felt would fit best in the performance. The dancers from SMU include: Casey-Lee Waldron, Kaylan Burton, Shawna Davis, Rachel Anderson, Dex Green, Jasmine Black, Kristen Hamm, Leah Mitchell, Niki Powell, Camille Cucjen, Alex Nowlin, and Aubry Neal.

“The piece that these dancers are in is a tribute to Fela, a famous Nigerian activist who died of AIDS. It should be really cool because there is also a broadway production on tour right now called ‘A Tribute to Fela,'” Santos said.

Not only does the show feature SMU’s dancers, but also the Dean of Meadows Dr. Jose Bowen will be playing the piano and conducting for the gathering band.

“I think it’s really cool that we were chosen to be in this performance. I hope it really increases AIDS awareness in the Dallas community and that a lot of SMU students show up as well,” junior dance major Niki Powell said.

There are 11 different companies involved in the production from all over the Dallas metroplex including: The Dallas Opera, Bruce Wood Dance Project, Booker T. Washington, Dallas Black Dance, and Dallas Theater Center to name a few. In addition to the dancers, there are lots of independent actors and singers.

“The evening is expected to be very entertaining and uplifting. It is by no means supposed to be a memorial but a celebration,” Santos said.