Primetime Emmy awards full of snubs, surprises

Associated Press

(Associated Press)

ABC’s Modern Family and PBS’ Downtown Abbey won big at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards.

Hosted by Jane Lynch, the annual awards show highlighting achievements made on the small screen, had its fair share of winners, losers, surprises, and snubs.

No stranger to awards, Modern Family, ABC’s sitcom that follows the lives of an unorthodox family unit, won the show’s first three awards and completed the night by taking home the trophy for “Outstanding Comedy Series.”

Individually, the show’s cast saw great success. Reaching the podium to accept their awards were Julie Bowen for “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series,” Ty Burrell for “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series,” and Micheal Alan Spiller for “Outstanding Directing For a Comedy Series.” The show also won the award for “Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series.”

Rounding out the night’s comedy awards were winners Mellisa McCartney for “Outstanding Lead Actress” in Mike & Molly and Jim Parson for “Outstanding Lead Actor” in The Big Bang Theory.

AMC’s Mad Men continued its reign as “Outstanding Drama Series” winner with its fourth consecutive win in the shows four seasons. However, John Hamm, the show’s lead, lost the “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series” trophy to Friday Night Light‘s Kyle Chandler.

Picking up the trophy for “Outstanding Lead Actress” in a Drama series was The Good Wife‘s Julianna Margulies.

In the show’s most “up-for-grab” categories, “Outstanding Supporting Actor and Actress in a Drama series,” the Emmys saw Game of Thrones‘ star Peter Dinklage and Justified actress Margo Martindale win the trophies.

The show ended with its “Movies and Mini-series” category. In a race that was dominated by programming on HBO and PBS, PBS’ Downtown Abbey surprised the public and took home the title for “Best Mini-series or movie.” Individually, Maggie Smith won the award for Downtown Abbey in “Best Supporting Actress in a mini-series or Movie” category.

Kate Winslet, an award magnet, won an Emmy for her role as Mildred Pierce in HBO’s series of the same name. Barry Pepper surprised many when he won the award for “Best Lead Actor in a mini-series or movie,” for his role in The Kennedys.

Finishing the category, Guy Pearce beat out stiff competition to win the award for “Best Supporting Actor in mini-series or movie,” for his portrayal of Kate Winslet’s husband in Mildred Pierce.

The Amazing Race returned to the podium to once again win the “Best Reality Programming” award, the show’s eighth trophy in the Emmy’s nine-year history of the category.

With three hours full of quick jokes, sentimental speeches, and daring dresses, the Emmys once again lived up to its hype as ‘television’s biggest night of the year.’