Head Coach of the week: Rhonda Rampola

Courtesy of SMU Athletics

(Courtesy of SMU Athletics)

For the past 20 seasons the SMU women’s basketball team’s Head Coach Rhonda Rompola has been their guiding light.

In the time she has spent as the team’s Head Coach Rompola has established a tradition of success within the program.

Along with the program-high winning percentages, Rompola also led the Mustangs to their first post-season tournament in school history during the 1992 to 1993 season, which was her second year as head coach.

For Rompola, there is nowhere else she’d rather be.

“I love it (SMU). I graduated from SMU and I’ve been here since. This is our program,” Rompola said.

Helping Rompola in the continuation of the team’s success is long-time friend and Associate Head Coach Lisa Dark. The pair has been coaching together since Rompola took over the program in 1991. With their 21st season together, it is obvious that Rompola knows that success is not only built with the players but also with coaches.

“The key is keeping your coaching staff in tact and when you can keep a coaching staff in tact that’s what makes the job so much fun,” Rompola said.

Also with Rompola and Dark on the sidelines are Assistant Coaches Deneen Parker and Danny Hughes. Parker joined the Mustangs 16 years ago to make the SMU staff the second largest active tenure in the nation.

Before joining SMU as a coach, Rompola was a player. Originally a player at Old Dominion, Rompola averaged 10.4 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists during her career with the Monarchs.

Rompola played on Old Dominions AIAW national championship teams in 1979 and 1980, shooting 51.6 percent from the field.

After her success at Old Dominion, Rompola led the 1981 to 1982 SMU women’s basketball team to an 18-15 record season.

With a scoring average of 21.3 points per game, it is no wonder why she still holds SMU’s records for season scoring and free throw percentage.

However, while winning is nice it is not the only force driving Rompola.

With the amount of time with SMU Coach Rompola has under her belt, both as a player and as a coach, it is easy to trust her when she said,”I believe in SMU and I believe in what we’re doing.”