Despite suicide, Bravo airs controversial ‘Housewives’ episode

Less than a month after venture capitalist Russell Armstrong committed suicide, the premier of Bravo’s “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” aired Monday evening.

The show began with the housewives gathered in the home of Adrienne Maloof, discussing Armstrong’s life and the sadness of the situation with estranged wife, housewife Taylor Armstrong, over glasses of wine.

Although the ultimate reason for his suicide is unclear, it is known that Armstrong was struggling with his finances and unhappy about his troubled marriage.

After the opening scene displaying the housewives talking about the death, a message flashed across the screen stating the events shown in this season all occurred before

Russell’s death. Shortly after, the show went straight into the usual catfights, tense dinner parties and shopping trips.

Because Bravo decided to air the new season despite Armstrong’s suicide, questions have been raised not only for Bravo, but for reality television in general. Life went on and so did the show.

It’s not just reality shows that have no boundaries and lowered morals nowadays. According to the New York Times, ABCNews.com posted the gut-wrenching 911 call made by one of Armstrong’s friends who discovered his body.

SMU senior Jennifer Traver thought the segment prior to the episode felt awkward and it would have been better for Taylor to remove herself from the cast because of the recent tragedy.

“I think this is just going to make things more difficult for her and her family,” she said.

SMU senior Samantha Cangelosi said airing the segment prior to the episode was a good thing.

Cangelosi thinks it was the right decision for Bravo to air the season as planned.

“I don’t think it’d be practical for them to have thrown away all the previously shot footage,” she said.

Right or wrong, the season two premiere brought up larger questions about privacy and concern for tragic situations in reality television.