Students aid local food bank

SMU organizations and clubs donated volunteer hours to the North Texas Food Bank (NTFB). The relationship between SMU and the NTFB is part of SMU’s effort to immerse students in the community.
Courtesy of Feeding America

SMU organizations and clubs donated volunteer hours to the North Texas Food Bank (NTFB). The relationship between SMU and the NTFB is part of SMU’s effort to immerse students in the community. (Courtesy of Feeding America)

Students, faculty, staff and alumni often give their voices, time, food and funds to the Dallas community. SMU organizations and clubs have lent a helping hand at the North Texas Food Bank [NTFB] for a while now.

“We were noticing so many natural, organic ties between SMU and NTFB that it seemed only fitting to formalize this relationship that was already such a huge support to us,” Julie Boehm, community affairs manager for the North Texas Food Bank, said.

To mark its centennial year, SMU has partnered with the North Texas Food Bank, in a program called “Stampede Against Hunger.”

This program was made to create an opportunity to encourage more joint projects between the two organizations.

SMU Director of Media Marketing Kim Cobb said SMU designed the partnership to spotlight the different ways that the university could help the NTFB reduce hunger in North Texas.
“Community service is vital to the life of any university, but SMU students, in particular, have great opportunities to support their classroom experiences with volunteering opportunities,” Cobb said.

The North Texas Food Bank relies on supporters to accomplish its mission to increase the hunger awareness in North Texas and increase community involvement in the fight.

“Partnering with the SMU community and brand is powerful. This is an innovative partnership model which we don’t think exists anywhere in the U.S.- a major food bank aligned with a major university,” Boehm said.

The NTFB has annual events with Highland Park High School, Coppell ISD and Dallas Baptist University, but this is the first formalized partnership the NTFB has with a local university.
“The “Stampede” partnership will not only bring more supporters to the food bank,” Boehm said, “but will also communicate to existing partners how much their support means to the NTFB.”

SMU has many different opportunities to help the food bank throughout the year, Cobb said.

Through Engaged Learning, students can participate in undergraduate research, service projects, internships and creative activities by working with the food bank.

Many previous Engaged Learning projects have focused on the city of Dallas and its social and economic problems.

SMU Basketball kicked off this partnership by volunteering at a 30-hour Sort-A-Thon on Sept. 6. Junior post Mallory Singleton, who participated in the drive with her teammates, sorted and stocked almost 6,000 pounds of food.

She hopes more SMU students get to volunteer at the food bank because it was such a great experience.

Part of SMU’s Second Century campaign is focused on immersing students in the community. Different fellowships and awards on campus, like the Academic Community Engagement fellowship, were designed to help community immersion.

Students who have already started volunteering with the NTFB enjoyed the experience.

“It’s a really cool place to volunteer at because it is a great organization,” Singleton said.

Senior guard London Giles enjoyed the event because he was able to help those less fortunate while spending time around his teammates. Giles says he has wanted to help the less fortunate since he was a kid.

“SMU is known for a lot of things, and I’m glad giving back to the community is one of them,” Giles said.

SMU community members are invited to participate in Service Day at the North Texas Food Bank on Nov. 4.