Mockingbird Taproom opens in Mockingbird Station

SMU forward Robert Nyakundi taking a three point shot Wednesday night against UCF.
Michael Danser/The Daily Campus

Mockingbird Taproom, located in Mockingbird Station, offers a wide selection of beer, with over 40 beers on tap. (Tashika Varma/The Daily Campus)

In December, Mockingbird Station welcomed a new restaurant and bar- Mockingbird Taproom.

This new full service burger and sports bar, which took Vapiano’s old location, has more than 40 beers on tap and is home to more than 20 plasma televisions.

The menu features a wide variety of items for every food enthusiast including specialty burgers, wings, salads, tacos and creative sandwiches.

Their exceptional appetizers set this restaurant apart from the others. Big Sticks, a patron favorite, is four warm, salted pretzels served with honey mustard and queso. Another great starter is their suicide fries that are covered in queso, giardiniera, chopped brisket, green onions and a fried egg.

Another menu section that makes Mockingbird Taproom out of this world is their selection of fancy baked mac and cheeses like their mother clunker mac, which is a traditional mac and cheese dish tossed with buffalo chicken.

Another great mac and cheese dish is their piggy back mac, which is made with pulled pork, bacon, jalapeño and pork rind topping.

Mockingbird Taproom also offers daily specials on both food and drink.

On Mondays, enjoy half off any burger. With unique choices like the sombrero (chorizo, jalapeño, chipotle mayo, lettuce and tomato), backyard barbeque (cheddar, bacon, barbeque sauce and onion strings), the cyanide tooth (pimento grilled cheese buns, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles) and breath mint (horseradish crust, roasted garlic mayo, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato and pickles), you can always be adventurous and try something new.

On Tuesdays, Mockingbird Taproom has $2 tacos. Served individually on white corn tortillas, these are a great deal and delicious.

The choriqueso taco, which consists of house made chorizo, roasted potatoes, queso sauce and cilantro and the huevos taco, which has scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, poblano cream, pico de gallo and cheddar are both favorites.

Wingday Wednesday offers 50 cent wings all day. Patrons can chose their spice level from mild, medium, hot and y.g.h.u.t sauces. Y.g.h.u.t stands for “you’re gonna hate us tomorrow” and on the menu, there is a disclaimer that says, “waiver required, alka seltzer provided.”

Tailored toward SMU students, Thursday nights are $1 domestic draft “ponies.”

In addition to the daily specials, happy hour includes half off starters and $3 Texas pints and well drinks. This takes place Monday to Friday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., all day Sunday and late night happy hour is Monday to Thursday 10 p.m. to close.

Mockingbird Taproom also offers a loyalty program called “Frequent Diner Club.”

The card is free and awards points each time you drink or dine at the restaurant. Every 250 points earned is worth $25 dollars toward your next visit.

Mockingbird Taproom is heaven for all beer, food and sports lovers.

With the Superbowl around the corner, this restaurant is the perfect place to watch the game while enjoying some great grub and a wide selection of beer.