Undermain Theatre shows off new tricks

They say that every dog has its day, but if you are the Undermain Theatre you have a whole string of days.

It seems that the Undermain is carrying the success of its last season into the new with their latest show, “The Dog Problem.” Equal parts funny and absurd, this production has audiences leaving the theater pleasantly thoughtful.

The direction in which Katherine Owens takes “The Dog Problem” is impressive in the way that she makes a could-be grotesque situation and instead turns it into amusement.

In the opening scene, Ray (Jonathan Brooks) and Ronnie (Drew Wall) introduce the upbeat and uproarious pace of the play. When Joey (Newton Pittman) arrives on the scene, the plot begins to unravel, and the chaotic absurdity begins.

Joey believes that Ray and his dog have humiliated his sister Teresa (Shannon Kearns-Simmons), and he is seeking revenge. The extremes to which the situation escalates are both heartbreaking and hilarious, thanks to David Rabe’s script and a whole lot of impeccable comedic timing.

Ridiculous seems to go hand in hand with evil in this play, as the meanest character of them all, Uncle Malvolio (Bruce DuBose) is wheeled onto the stage by his dopey henchman, Tommy (Andrew Aguilar), sucking on a lollipop.

It should be acknowledged that as funny as the human actors in the play are, there is no real way for them to match the special energy that a live animal brings on stage, which is emphasized by the stage presence of this particular dog, Buddy.

As the one female in the show, Kearns-Simmons has a lot to live up to. Although she firmly delivers the emotional punch needed in the second half, she seems out of place in the subtly overplayed world of characters. Furthermore, her announcement of pregnancy in the second act is just one more sign that she does not belong in this dog-eat-dog world of men, that she, just like Eve in the Garden of Eden, simply causes problems.  

DuBose and Wall are by far the most enjoyable characters in the show, but for very different reasons: DuBose for his portrayal of the crotchety, yet curious mobster, who manages to intimidate everyone else, even though he can barely walk; Wall for his portrayal of the loveable, psychic maladroit.

It would be a difficult task to find something about the Undermain’s season opener to dislike. From the installation of new, more comfortable chairs – which, happen to be the reupholstered seats of the Kalita Humphreys Theater – to the always-changing set, which this time, resembles the streets of New York – there is no reason to miss out on Dallas’ finest avant-garde.

For more information about “The Dog Problem,” the Undermain Theatre or student ticket prices, visit www.undermain.com.