Editorial: Hey Meadows, it’s time to step up

It has come to my attention that no, I repeat, no representatives from Meadows School of the Arts were elected to senate this year. Why? Because no one applied. The membership committee has just filled on slot, but there are still two open.

This is a sad state to be in, especially because many of the groups that come before Senate to be chartered and to get funding are arts related. The lack of representation coming from the school of the arts is only a detriment to the students of Meadows.

This has been a trend for years. Meadows is continually the school that puts forth the fewest candidates and casts the lowest number of votes. Considering that arts students spend a large majority of their time on campus in rehearsal, in auditions, filming or working long hours into the night editing videos, it doesn’t make any sense that we wouldn’t want as much representation possible in our Student Senate.   

In Meadows, we need more of that representation. Every other school is represented in Student Senate. But not ours. This only reflects badly on Meadows and makes us look like students who are not at all invested in the inner-workings of SMU when that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Last year, I served as a student senator. When I was chosen as editor, I had to step down because of a conflict of interest, and it saddens me that no one wanted to fill the seat that I left empty at the end of the year.

If you are interested in filling the remaining two seats, contact Student Body President Jake Torres at [email protected].

Jessica Huseman is editor-in-chief of The Daily Campus. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].