Lady Mustangs go 5-2 in Basketball over break

While the student body was off spending time with family and friends, SMU’s Women’s basketball team was hard at work. Over winter break the Lady Mustangs competed in seven games, including two in San Diego and one in New Orleans.

SMU recorded a respectable 5-2 record (11-4 overall), while beating Louisiana-Monroe, Stephen F. Austin, Harvard, and rivals Tulane and UCF. They did however lose back-to-back games against Wichita State and San Diego State.

Against Louisiana-Monroe, the Mustangs cruised to their first win of the break, crushing the Warhawks 76-56. Lead by junior transfer Keena Mays, who recorded 23 points and 11 rebounds in her first game at SMU. The Mustangs held the Warhawks to a 14 point first half. Destynee Hives-McCray also recorded her third double-double of the season, adding 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Forty-eight hours later, the Mustangs defeated Stephen F. Austin 71-62. Mays had another spectacular game, scoring 33 points in 34 minutes of play. Mays became the first player since 2001 to score 33 points in a game for the Lady Mustangs.

After two wins to kick off break, the Mustangs fell on December 22nd to Wichita State 61-59. The Mustangs had the last shot in the final minutes with a chance to tie or win the game, however their last-second shot bounced off the front of the rim.

Following the tough loss, the Mustangs traveled to San Diego to participate in the San Diego Surf ‘n Slam Classic. SMU fell in its first game to tournament host San Diego State, 88-72. Although Mays and Akil Simpson added 26 and 20 points, respectably, the Aztecs’ three players in double-digits proved to be too much for the Lady Mustangs.

The Mustangs faced Harvard in the second round, where they were able to come out on top, winning 88-73. Their 88 points were a season-high for SMU, getting significant contributions from Mays, Simpson and Alisha Filmore, who were all in double-figures.

After their win over Harvard, the Mustangs traveled to New Orleans to kick off Conference-USA play. The Mustangs hit six clutch free throws in the last minute of play to seal a 62-56 victory over the Tulane. Mays finished with a game high 27 points on 9 for 19 shooting.

SMU returned home to face conference rival UCF. The Mustangs cruised to a 15-point victory, defeating the Knights 69-54. SMU was led by Korina Baker, who recorded a career high 17 points on the night.

The Mustangs faced 9-6 Southern Mississippi Thursday night and will host Rice Sunday at 2 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.