Take time to appreciate art

This weekend I have experienced a wealth of beautiful art and artists. Each time I sat down, I was presented with a spectacle so honest and enticing that I was moved to laughter and tears. Witnessing this great art I found that it was not enough to simply take in the beautiful pictures presented to me. It was not enough to simply have witnessed this beauty.

No. I had to allow myself to be affected by what I was seeing. I had to take these words and images, melodiously strung together, and allow them to influence and alter my view of the world around me. By allowing myself to be open to this work, I could discover a whole new outlook. A light or a darkness in my world that I never knew existed.

Acknowledging this not only fostered a deeper feeling toward the art but an impulse to action. The narratives in these works spoke of the struggles and joys of several peoples and I wanted to be a part of that struggle. I wanted to fight for that joy.

Too many people go through this world ignoring half of the things presented to them. Let’s face it: In our world, with the media bombarding us from every direction, it’s impossible not to block some of it out. I don’t think a person should let in everything that they see or hear, only the things that truly touch them, that resonate with them.

But again I say it’s not merely enough to just witness these things and walk away thinking, “Oh that was nice, now back to my life.” You have to let it affect you and then let it be a spring board, let it propel you to action.

So much art is made to make a statement. If you see something that makes a statement that you relate to ,let it be your guide. Take those words, images, phrases and let them make you better. Let them inspire you to make your own statement that will inspire someone else and create a ripple effect. If you allow the beauty being created and that already exists in the world to transform you, you might find it could lead you to greatness.

Antoinette is a junior majoring in theatre.