SMU loses to Texas A&M, 48-3

On Saturday SMU hoped to avenge the 46-14 loss suffered last year at the hands of Texas A&M University.

This year SMU lost because their defense couldn’t contain A&M freshman quarter back Johnny Manziel and their offense could not convert on third down. Manziel rushed for a total of 124 yards and threw for 294 accounting for 418 of the Aggies total yardage.

In the first quarter SMU linebacker Taylor Reed forced an incompletion on fourth down and 2 yards to go with 1:43 left in the first, which prevented the best possible scoring opportunity either team had up until that point; keeping the game scoreless.

The Aggies got on the board in the second quarter with a touchdown pass from QB Johnny Manziel to Ryan Swope for 29 yards that capped off an eight play-61 yard drive. This was the first score of the game for either team. Manziel broke free for a 48 yard run for a touchdown but on the ensuing PAT attempt Margus Hunt picked up his 16th overall block of his career making the score 13-0. SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert threw an interception with 2:26 left in the half which led to Manziel scrambling out of the pocket and dropping a floater into the arms of wide receiver Uzoma Nwachukwu for another touchdown and a 20-0 lead.

The Mustangs put together a nice drive that began at their own 25 and ended 8 plays later with a failed 48 yard field goal attempt to end the half. At the half the Aggies had out-gained the Mustangs in total yardage 307-111. SMU’s defense struggled to corral Manziel as he ran free for 91 yards on 10 attempts in the first half. Manziel escaped the arms of Reed and then completed a pass to wide receiver Kendric McNeil for 42 yard touchdown pass to give them a 27-0 lead.

SMU responded with a 9 play-67 yard drive that ended with a field goal and the Mustang’s first points. Manziel continued to run free as he rushed for 42 yards on a 75 yard scoring drive to make to give them a 29 point lead. Seven minutes later the Aggies were in the end zone again courtesy of a 12yard touchdown catch by Nwachukwu for his second touchdown of the day. They out gained the Mustangs 605 to 309.

The final score was 48 to 3.