A bakery loses the gluten

Wholesome Foods Bakery located at 718 North Buckner Blvd offers a variety of gluten-free baked goods.
Courtesy of Wholesome Foods Bakery

Wholesome Foods Bakery located at 718 North Buckner Blvd offers a variety of gluten-free baked goods. (Courtesy of Wholesome Foods Bakery )

Does a bakery that is gluten-free, soy-free, all-natural and organic seem too good to be true? If you have a food allergy, this probably seems like a dream.

Anne Hoyt and her daughter, Taylor Nicholson, both have celiac disease and are lactose intolerant.

Tired of the tasteless options offered to people with gluten allergies, they created Wholesome Foods Bakery.

“We have anything from snacks to baked goods you would ever need, and it is all gluten-free,” Nicholson said.

One of their main goals is to make sure that everything has a delicious taste and texture.

“The pumpkin muffins taste exactly like a regular pumpkin muffin,” SMU student Mallory Presutti said. “But I did not feel as bad eating it.”

From cupcakes, brownies, cakes and breads to muffins, snack mixes and special Foodbars all of their baked goods avoid any unnecessary added ingredients such as fatty additives and refined sugars.

Their food includes a mix of complex carbohydrates, protein, fiber and heart healthy fats to keep customers satisfied.

However, not everyone who eats at Wholesome Foods Bakery suffers from a food allergy.

“About one-third of our customers have no food allergies,” Nicholson said. “They just want to eat as clean and organic as possible.”

In March, Wholesome Foods Bakery will undergo an expansion. They will offer even more options such as sandwiches, pizza and take away foods but all will remain true to being organic, gluten and soy-free.