Isn’t it ironic

Why is a white guy the one getting all the attention?

Controversy is nothing short of inevitable when it comes to the president of the United States, whether it is pre or post election. From Hoovervilles to Watergate, cigars in the oval office to hanging chads in Florida, it’s always something.

As we edge closer and closer to Decision 2008, finger pointing and name calling from both sides are already in full swing. However, the biggest (and most recent) display of controversial allegations is aimed at the most unlikely presidential candidate:John McCain.

Late last week, The New York Times reported that Sen. McCain engaged in a questionable relationship with lobbyist Vicki Iseman during McCain’s bid for the presidency in 2000. Although it’s been feverishly denied by McCain, those in opposition of the senator can’t help but harp on the allegations.

However, if the affair proves to be true, it’s not like it would be the first. Warren Harding, John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton – the list goes on. According to history, the presidential affair is not worthy of breaking down campaigns or legacies.

McCain has also been criticized for being “too moderate” for the Republican Party, eliciting much disdain from those on the extreme right side of the political spectrum. Now there’s controversy emanating from within McCain’s own party. Why is McCain receiving the brunt of all this?

The 71-year-old man is the only candidate who actually looks the part. He’s an old, wrinkled, white politician. Not to mention, McCain was a POW in Vietnam – he was tortured for five years. It just seems odd he is the focal point of controversy when he’s basically nailed down his place on the final ballot. On the Democratic side, the race is down to two people who have a chance to change history as we know it if either wins the election. You’ve got Barack Obama, a black man, and Hillary Clinton, a woman. Last time we checked, the United States has had neither as a president.

Even the process of voting itself has become somewhat controversial. Usually when one goes to vote, one votes for the person he or she would like to see in office. However, some Texas voters revealed that they voted in the primary for a different candidate entirely. Some vote for Obama because they hate Clinton. Some vote for Clinton because they hate Obama. There are even die-hard Republicans voting for Clinton because they believe McCain will have a tougher time defeating Obama if he’s the Democrat on the ballot in November.

As with every presidential election, this one is shaping up to be quite interesting. But as far as controversy goes, we’re still in primary season. As soon as the Democratic candidate is decided, the true gloves will come off.