Mustang Brief: Health care rhetoric

People have strong feelings about the health care reform bill moving through Congress. While much of the debate has been civilized, things have occasionally gotten out of control, from armed protesters showing up at Obama events to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid calling those who oppose the bill “evil mongers.” In recent weeks though, the rhetoric has tuned down and for the most part been decent, if not friendly. Then Jesse Jackson stepped into the fray.

At a Congressional Black Caucus Foundation reception last week, Jackson took aim at Artur Davis, the only black House Democrat to vote against the bill.

“You can’t vote against health care and call yourself a black man,” Jackson said.

According to the latest Rasmussen Reports survey, only 38 percent of Americans support the plan making its way through Congress; 56 percent oppose it. If Jackson’s comments are any indication, Democrats hope racial attacks and other absurd charges will shut up enough of the opposition to ram this legislation through Congress against the will of the American people.

Democrats spent eight years complaining about George W. Bush’s branding of the opposition as un-American. Now that they’re in power, they’ve shown they’re no better.