Andrew Comley, DKNY’s head designer, shares why fashion is fundamental, even on a flat budget

People are buying less. That’s why DKNY’s head designer Andrew Comley made the trip to Dallas to encourage women to bring the love of style and shopping back into their lives.

Comley has spent years in the fashion industry working as a designer for big names like Gucci, MaxMara and Calvin Klein. But with this past year’s economic climate, he has noticed something new: an increased public fear of fashion and trends.

“It’s a time where people are keeping things for special occasions, but if you like it, wear it now,” Comley said. “There is so much out there, that there is no point on keeping everything.”

Along with the DKNY designer’s insistence about people enjoying their purchases in the present, he also is passionate about restoring the mentality of getting dressed. The DKNY fall collection was inspired by the television series Mad Men. Comley said the collection’s goal is to bring back a time period where Americans made an effort to dress up everyday.

“I think there is definitely a whole mood out there for people to start dressing up again,” Comley said.

If you are uncomfortable with trends, Comley recommends keeping your look classic.

“My advice is don’t try too hard,” Comley said. “It is very easy not to go wrong when you buy black, because you can layer on colors.”

Despite your budget, Comley attests a chic look can be achieved with something as simple as a T-shirt.

“For everyday, I would say one of our novelty T-shirts,” Comley said. “It looks great under a suit jacket and with jeans.”

Comley said the real reason to look nice and put-together is for yourself.

“It’s all about how it makes you feel and self confidence,” Comley said. “It’s like treating yourself to a fantastic dinner. It’s something that makes you feel good and makes you feel happy.”