Ponies host SMU Classic

The No. 11 SMU women’s swimming and diving team will be looking for their sixth straight Conference USA title this season but must first test their strength against the best of the best in the annual SMU Classic.

This year’s classic features six nationally ranked teams from all over the country including USC from the Pac 10, Louisville from the Big East, UVA from the ACC, Purdue from the Big 10, and Rice and SMU from the C-USA.

This one of a kind elite meet will display the nation’s best swimmers and divers. Competing teams must have a representative in each race; however, squads are limited to only eight swimmers and one diver for the entire meet.

SMU’s star diver Audra Egenolf is coming off a superb junior year, which ended with a seventh place finish in the three-meter dive and eleventh place finish in the platform dive at the NCAA Championships.

The senior from Indianapolis, Indiana has qualified for the NCAA Championships every year since she’s been at SMU and achieved All American status as a freshman.

Last week, SMU defeated Houston 172-122 in the first dual match of the season.

The Mustangs dominated the Cougars, winning 12 of the meet’s 16 events.

Egenolf placed first in the one- meter diving event and second in the three-meter diving event.

Freshman Deanna Matthews earned respect after leading the Mustangs with three event titles.

Matthews won the 100-yard backstroke by more than four seconds. She also came out on top in the 200-yard backstroke and 400-yard IM events.

High class athletes, fun and entertainment should combine for the best SMU Classic in recent memory.

Following the Halloween tradition, the classic will be hosting a costume contest Friday and provide free candy at the door for some early trick-or-treating.

During the meet, the Mustang Swim Club eight and under girls will represent the six collegiate teams, and will hold their own mini competition.

The meet is slated to begin on Friday and run through Saturday at Perkins Natatorium.