Media experts help students find connections through Digital Threads

If you’re familiar with cyber communities such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace – finding a job after graduation might not be as hard as you think.

On Thursday, Nov. 5 and Friday, Nov. 6, SMU students are invited to attend the Meadows School of the Arts’ second annual “Digital Threads” media conference. The focus of this year’s conference addresses the power of social networking.

“It’s a chance for students to have direct interaction with dozens of the world’s leaders in new media all at once,” Dr. Jose Bowen, dean of the Meadows School of the Arts, said.

Why is social networking so important for SMU students?

Digital Threads Co-Chair Ed Wilson said, “To be able to connect with people in [this economic climate] is really important. We’ve talked about Twitter, Facebook, etc., and I started thinking that this was something that is affecting everyone. … This is the perfect forum to get people connected.”

This year, Wilson said he hopes to attract a larger audience of a wider demographic with the theme of social networking. “It is connected to classes in CTV, Journalism, Advertising, CCPA, Music, Dance and Theater – but basically every student who wants to spread art or information about anything using digital media should be here,” Bowen said.

Tony Pederson, Belo distinguished chair in journalism and chair of the division of journalism in the Meadows School of the Arts said, “We’re trying to give [students] a leg up on getting a job once they get out of here – and to understand a little bit more about what the job market actually is.”

Digital Threads will include lectures from media executives, followed by a job networking session, during which students can exchange resumes and contact information with the executives.

“Quite a few people got job offers last year. Fox, E! and The Marketing Arm are some of the companies that hired SMU students for jobs and internships,” Wilson said. “At the very least, you make contacts with the pros who will potentially hire you in the future, and you learn how to better prepare yourself and get tips on how to get started once you graduate.”

Last year, Digital Threads speakers included Access Hollywood anchor Billy Bush and Managing Director of Reveille Howard Owens.

The speakers emphasized the importance of finding internships and getting experience that will build an impressive resume, SMU junior Sarah Bray said.

“I’m going to network as much as possible this year since it has become clear that anyone looking for a job not only needs work experience but more than ever, networking experience,” Bray said.

For more information about Digital Threads visit smu.edu. All lectures will be held in the Owens Fine Arts Center. Student Admission is free, but seats are limited.