Andrew Galloway wins Big Shot

Andrew Galloway wins Big Shot
Photo by John Schreiber, The Daily Campus
Andrew Galloway wins Big Shot

Andrew Galloway wins Big Shot (Photo by John Schreiber, The Daily Campus)

What started out as 12 students competing for the title of “The Big Shot” was narrowed down to one Saturday night. Sophomore Andrew Galloway was honored with the title in the third quarter.

“I was really excited and surprised to win,” Galloway said. “It was a really close competition — very competitive.”

Jace Hinderland, Galloway’s final competitor, had no hard feelings about losing the final round.

“Andrew was more deserving of the title,” Hinderland said. “We were joking about it afterwards. There’s no one else I’d rather lose to than him.”

Galloway said he felt confident going into the last round.

“It worked out better than I thought,” he said. “I was excited to see it all come together, but I was really nervous once the fans started showing up.”

Galloway and Hinderland’s final task was to create a buzz around campus about the last home game and increase student attendance and participation.

Galloway took advantage of many venues to help spread the word, including putting up a Facebook announcement and hanging “Rock the Red” posters in the residence halls.

“It all fell together on the day of the game,” Galloway said. “Katie-Beth Adkins from Program Council helped me get some mascots to come out. I’m really appreciative of everyone who helped me.”

Galloway also had a face-painting booth in the entrance of Moody to energize the crowd.

“I really wanted to create some spirit,” he said. “I bought red leis and red pom-poms for the student section.”

As the winner, Galloway received two round trip airline tickets, four lower level Mavericks tickets, a $500 gift certificate to Maggiano’s and $100 to Jason’s Deli.

Despite losing, Hinderland felt the experience was a positive one.

“Your team really has to work together,” he said. “It requires a lot of critical thinking faster than normal.”

Galloway thought the competition gave him valuable skills for later in life.

“This experience combined the two things I love most — athletics and marketing,” he said. “I was able to learn the ins and outs of SMU athletics, and how much work it takes to put on games.”