Men’s and women’s golf claim national honors

A win at the John Burns Intercollegiate at Leilehua Golf Course in Hawaii over the weekend helped the Mustang men’s golf team to capture Golfweek magazine’s “Team of the Week” award.

The Mustangs posted rounds of 279-271-273 to total 41-under par for the tournament. The score of 15-under 273 on the final day brought SMU back from a three-shot deficit to win its second tournament of the season.

Junior Brandon DeStefano, who beat Auburn’s Jay Moseley in a playoff to claim medalist honors, led the men with a 14-under par score of 202.

Junior Colt Knost just missed a top-ten finish, shooting 206 and claiming 12th place. Golfweek ranks the men 40th in the nation. Their next tournament is the Louisiana Classic March 5-7.

The women’s golf team is also on a roll. It is ranked 26th by Golfweek, and sophomore Lacey Jones was named Conference USA’s “Women’s Golfer of the Week” last week. Laura Cross won the award the week of Oct. 6.

Jones captured the Central District Invitational by four strokes and was the only golfer to finish the tournament under par.

“The tournament was great, it was a great course.” Jones said. “I was a little nervous, because it was the first tournament of the year.”

As a team, the SMU women finished third in the tournament. They were one shot behind second-place Ohio State, and a dozen behind the winner, Baylor.

The women now enjoy some well-earned time off. Their next tournament is the Texas A&M “Mo”morial tournament March 10-12. SMU won that tournament and hopes to repeat in 2006.