Women’s tennis looks to further winning streak

Womens tennis looks to further winning streak
Christina Parrish

(Christina Parrish)

The No. 54 SMU women’s tennis team returns home for a double-header on Saturday against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and Prairie View A&M at the Garland Tennis Center.

The Mustangs are currently on a four-match win streak with a recent 4-1 victory over conference opponent Rice in Houston. SMU is 12-4 for the season and 2-1 in conference play.

The Ragin’ Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette are 13-6 for the season. Their most recent victory came over fellow Sun Belt Conference team Florida Atlantic, 4-1. The Ragin’ Cajuns take on the University of Texas-Arlington today, before meeting the Mustangs on Saturday.

SMU also faces Prairie View A&M on Saturday. Last season, the Mustangs blanked the Panthers 7-0.

At the top of the Mustang squad is junior Natalia Bubien, playing at both No. 1 singles and doubles. She holds a 6-5 record in singles and a 12-2 record in doubles with partner freshman Claire Reitsch.

Reitsch currently holds the best singles record on the squad at 13-2. She plays predominantly at No. 3, where she has an 11-1 record.

Jennifer Chay defends the No. 2 position for SMU. The senior has a 6-4 singles record and shares a 10-6 record in doubles with Pavi Francis.

Francis, a freshman, has the second best singles record at 12-4. The Lewisville native has an 8-2 record at No. 4, her usual spot on the roster.

The Mustangs remain in Dallas for another three matches after their double-header on Saturday. Next on the list is the University of Arkansas on April 3 at the Garland Tennis Center.