Women finish season with 3-1 victory over regionally-ranked Baylor Saturday

Ask Nell
Ask Nell

Junior Maddie Lozano against ECU. She tallied seven kills against Baylor. (Mark Reese/The Daily Campus)

Spending much of Thanksgiving break in Moody Coliseum paid off as SMU volleyball ended the season in a 3-1 victory over regionally-ranked Baylor on Saturday.

SMU took a 16-12 lead in the first set and ended with a 25- 22 win.

Baylor came out strong in the second set with a 25-17 victory over the Mustangs.

SMU blew the Bears away in the third set with a 13-7 run and ended with a 25-12 win.

The Mustangs trailed behind in the fourth set until freshmen Cailin Bula and Abbey Bybel had back-to-back kills – bringing SMU to a 17-14 lead.

The Mustangs continued to keep the lead and ended the match 25-24 with sophomore Caroline Young’s kill.

Courtney Manning finished her career with 579 blocks in four seasons at SMU – making her second all-time in Conference USA.

“I love my team and it hurts to leave, but I always feels great to end on a good note especially for the seniors,” Manning said.

“Our practices this week let us prepare right for the match and hopefully the returning girls will have more practices like that.”

Manning ended the season with 104 blocks.

Young finished the season with 397 kills and senior Olivia Bailey had 240 digs and 980 assists.

Manning and Maddie Lozano each finished with seven kills and six blocks against Baylor.

Bybel finished with nine kills and Bula had eight kills, four blocks and five digs in the victory over the Bears.

“Although it wasn’t our best season it was my favorite and I am really going to miss it,” Manning said.

Bailey ended the season with her ninth double-double, 42 assists and 14 digs.

“I thought today everyone really stepped up and proved what a great team we really are,” Bailey said.

“I have never felt so close to a group of girls and coaches and I am so happy we were able to put it together one last time.”