Women’s tennis takes road trip to Houston

The No. 62 SMU women’s tennis team heads to Houston this weekend to play conference opponent Rice at the Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.

The Mustangs remain 11-4 for the season after Wednesday’s match against Arkansas was postponed due to inclement weather. The match has been rescheduled for April 3 here in Dallas.

Rice is the third C-USA match-up for SMU this season. The Mustangs lost to Tulsa 4-3 in late February but defeated Houston 7-0 earlier this month.

Rice also lost to Tulsa 4-3 in its only conference match so far this season. The Owls are 4-11 overall and 3-6 at home. They’ve suffered losses to big names such as No. 10 Baylor, No. 26 TCU and No. 29 BYU (rankings reflect position when facing Rice). Their most recent match resulted in a 7-0 sweep of Columbia.

Leading the Owls is Julie Chao at No. 1 singles. The San Diego, Calif., native holds a 6-6 record at No. 1 and a 7-8 record in dual matches overall. She and partner Tiffany Lee have a 4-9 record at No. 1 doubles this season.

Lee, a junior also from California, has spent time at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles this season with a 6-9 record overall in dual matches.

Christine Dao predominantly plays at No. 2 for the Owls and pairs with Emily Braid at No. 3 doubles. The duo has a 3-6 record, including a loss to conference opponent Tulsa.

For the Mustangs, Junior Natalia Bubien leads the roster, playing No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles with partner Claire Reitsch. With a 7-5 record at No. 1 (13-9 overall), Bubien won two of her last three matches. When pairing with Reitsch, the pair boasts an 11-2 dual match record (12-3 overall).

Jennifer Chay played at No. 1 singles three times this season, but generally defends the No. 2 spot. The senior holds a 5-4 record at No. 2, 9-7 overall.

Freshmen Reitsch and Pavi Francis currently have the two best singles records on the squad, 12-2 and 11-4, respectively. Reitsch typically plays at No. 3 with a record of 10-1 but has played three matches at No. 2, going 2-1. Francis, who pairs with Chay at No. 2 doubles for a 9-6 record, has spent the majority of the season at No. 4 with a 7-2 record. Filling in the rest of the roster are senior Georgiana Marta and sophomores Kristen Reid and Monica Neveklovska. Marta has an 8-4 record overall, going 6-3 in the last 10 matches SMU has played.

Reid and Neveklovska have traded places at No. 6 throughout the season and are paired at No. 3 doubles, recording eight wins and five losses overall this season.

The Mustangs return to Dallas on March 31 for a double-header against Louisiana-Lafayette and Prairie View A&M. Those contests mark the beginning of a five-match home stand for the SMU squad.