Yoga more than exercise

Yesterday the SMU Bhakti Yoga Club discussed the Bhagavad-Gita from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in room 101 of the Junkins building.

The speaker Nityananda Dasa led the group in chanting mantras, followed by a reading from the Bhagavad-Gita in Sanskrit and an intense explanation of the purpose of Hinduism.

The lecture focused on the “proper understanding of life; what is the meaning of life?” as interpreted by Dasa. The speaker stated that the purpose of worship was to create a one-on-one relationship with Krshna or God. It especially focused on the idea of free will in choosing to have a relationship with Krshna or not.

“Why did he give us this option?” asked Harsh Kupwade, an electrical engineering major.

“Love,” responded Dasa. “The most important part about love is choice.”

The lecture discussed chapter three of the Bhagavad-Gita As It Is. Chapter three is a rough outline for the way humans should live. It says everything in life creates action that causes reaction, which in turn causes good or bad actions. It goes on to say that this is the cycle of life and Krshna should be used as a screen between action and reaction.

Dasa also provided an analogy for humanity’s relationship to Krshna using Shakespeare’s characters of Romeo and Juliet. Juliet may be understanding if Romeo is involved with other women because she has good character but this would not make her feel good. Juillette, who represents Krsnha, allows Romeo, who represents humanity, to choose his relationship with her although it will ultimately lead to unhappiness for both parties. This is like one’s relationship with Krshna.

Kevin O’Toole, an English and philosophy major, enjoyed the lecture.

“Buddhism, Christianity, they all have their good points so I’m just expanding my spirituality,” he said.

The SMU Bhakti Yoga Club meets every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in room 101 in Junkins and welcome newcomers. Join them for free food and a dose of Hindu spirituality.