Women’s tennis finds success on the road

SMUs Georgiana Marta lunges to return the ball.
Christina Parrish
SMU’s Georgiana Marta lunges to return the ball.

SMU’s Georgiana Marta lunges to return the ball. (Christina Parrish)

The No. 66 SMU women’s tennis team went 2-0 on its Spring Break road trip to Arkansas. The Mustangs toppled the University of Arkansas-Little Rock and South Alabama University. The wins improve SMU to 11-4 for the season.

SMU faced UALR on Saturday, handing the Trojans a 5-2 loss, their first of the season. The Mustangs took the doubles point as well as victories at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 singles positions. Junior Natalia Bubien and freshman Claire Reitsch reunited at No. 1 doubles to beat Laetitia Bourgeon and Jenna Hirdle 8-2. Senior Jennifer Chay and freshman Pavi Francis won at No. 2, while sophomores Kristen Reid and Monica Neveklovska followed suit at No. 3.

With a victory at No. 3 singles, Reitsch’s record improves to 12-2, the best dual conference record on the squad this season. In doubles, she and partner Bubien hold an 11-2 record at No. 1.

Bubien also earned a win at No. 1 singles against UALR, shutting down Outi Jarvinen in two sets 6-1, 6-0. Chay also won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 singles against Hollie Robinson.

Senior Georgiana Marta rounded out the singles victories at No. 5 with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Marta Gomez-Jordana of UALR.

The Mustangs continued their road trip on Sunday with a contest against No. 64 South Alabama. SMU continued its winning ways with a 4-3 victory, breaking the Jaguars’ three-match win streak. South Alabama is now 7-7 for the season.

The Jaguars and the Mustangs split the singles victories three and three, but SMU took the deciding doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2.

Both No. 1 and No. 2 singles fell to nationally ranked players: Bubien lost to No. 46 Adrianna Solarova and No. 117 Michaela Babicova defeated Chay.

At No. 5, Marta took Dijana Stanic to three sets before losing 2-6, 6-4, 15-13.

Freshmen Reitsch and Francis each took wins at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively.

Reid also took a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 win over Sylvanie Spangenberg.

The Mustangs also garnered their first conference victory while playing Houston on March 11. SMU shut out the Cougars 7-0, making the Mustangs 1-1 in C-USA play.

SMU returns home to take on Arkansas at the Garland Tennis Center on Wednesday at 2 p.m.