Fashion, food and film all in one

Dallas showcases
 Fashion, food and film all in one
Fashion, food and film all in one

Fashion, food and film all in one

By Stacy Seebode

Contributing Writer

[email protected]

Boredom is not an average term one hears when strolling thesidewalks of SMU. Students are busy with classes and studying, butthey also have plenty of extracurricular activities to choosefrom.

Known for its big hair, big houses, and big corporate companies,Dallas offers a taste of several cultural interests, as well asfine dining, sporting events, shopping and much more.

And the best part is that all of it is located within 20 milesof campus.

Concerts

Smirnoff Music Center

Thursday, Aug. 5 at 9:30 p.m.

Ozzfest 2004 — Featuring Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest,Slayer, Slipknot and more.

Saturday, Aug. 7

Edgefest 2004 — Featuring Good Charlotte, Finger Eleven,Billy Talent, Jet, Alexisonfire, Something Corporate, Jersey, TheSalads, The Ones, Evanescence, Seether and Saliva.

Saturday, Aug. 14 at 5 p.m.

The Cure.

Sunday, Aug. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Toby Keith with Terri Clark and Scott Emerick.

Friday, Aug. 20 at 5 p.m.

Linkin Park with Korn, Snoop Dogg and the Used.

Tickets are available at ticketmaster.com.

American Airlines Center: Home of the Dallas Mavericks

Thursday, Aug. 12 at 8 p.m.

Usher: The Truth Tour 2004

Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center

The Meyerson is home of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and DallasWind Symphony. First on the line up this summer is the Bravo! VailValley Musical Festival running through July 17.

Ticket information can be found online at:http://www.meyersonsymphonycenter.com.

Shopping and Dining

The Galleria

This three-story mall is open Monday-Saturday: 10a.m. to 9p.m.and Sunday: Noon to 6 p.m. and features an ice skating rink in thecenter of mall that can be viewed from any floor. Unique designerstores, such as Betsy Johnson, Sacks Fifth Avenue, Versace and theShakespear and Beethoven Book Company can also be found only at theGalleria in Dallas.

Northpark Center

A maze-of-a-mall is just a hop-skip-and-a-jump off 75-North andis open Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from noonto 6 p.m. The top floor even features an enchantingchildren’s theatre, Le Theatre de Marrionette.

West Village

Best known for its trendy location, the West Village featuresfun shopping, dining, and an indepentdent movie theatre (theMagnolia), all located beneath newly added loft styleapartments.

Mockingbird Station

Located close to campus, Mockingbird Station is very frequentlyvisited by SMU students. Similar to West Village, the young, urbanatmosphere is great for dates, or an afternoon outing. It, too,includes an independent theatre and top floor lofts.

Highland Park Village

On the West side of SMU, Highland Park Village offers 9.9 acresof Spainsh style architecture which redefines the term elegant.

But all of this is just an introduction. Dallas has been rankedamong San Francisco, New York City, Miami, and other metropolitanareas when it comes to fine dining and shopping.

Other Entertainment

If for some reason, boredom still plagues your mind, check theseout:

The Dallas Museum of Art

With an SMU ID, the visit is free! Hours: Tues. through Sun. 11a.m. to 5 p.m. and Thurs. 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Current exhibitsinclude the World and Dreams of Salvador Dail and Ellsworth Kellyin Dallas.

Six Flags Over Texas

Bring along a coke can for half price admission and ride theSuperman Tower of Power, the Shockwave, and the Titan. Generaladmission is $41.99 + tax. For hours of operation, visitwww.sixflags.com.

Hurricane Harbor

On a regular Texas heat wave day, try this fun-filled waterpark, and ride the new Tornado. Tickets are $29.99 + tax.

SpeedZone

Like driving fast cars? Try SpeedZone on a beautiful Saturdayafternoon Hours include Mon.-Thurs. noon to 10p.m., Fri. noon tomidnight and Sat. 11 a.m. to midnight, Sun. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Formore information visit www.speedzone.com/dallas.

The Dallas World Aquarium

Known for its large complex and exotic sea animals, the aquariumis a great place for an afternoon of marine biology. Admission tothe aquarium is only $10.95 everyday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other Dallas hot spots to visit include Turtle Creek, SniderPlaza, Greenville Ave., and Deep Ellum.