Golf team, Knost take first

The SMU men’s golf team won the team title, and junior Colt Knost won the individual title at the Pinehurst Intercollegiate tournament Tuesday, both for the second straight year.

North Carolina’s weather was less than ideal for golf, with temperatures in the 40s and rain and sleet coming down all day Monday. The final round Tuesday was cancelled due to unplayable conditions.

Despite the weather, Knost was still able to shoot an even-par 72, beating UNC Greensboro’s Will Shambley by one stroke, 143 to 144.

“I’ve been playing well the past few weeks, and I felt good coming into it,” Knost said. “I also had the confidence from winning last year.”

Knost tried not to let the weather hinder his performance.

“It was tough to play in, but the fact that everyone’s out there playing in it gets you through,” he said. “You just have to tough it out and do what you have to do to get it done.”

Junior Brandon DeStefano shot a 1-over 73 to take third place at 145. DeStefano was excited about his win.

“I felt good about it,” he said. “I really wanted to play today, but I’ll take third place any day of the week.”

Knost and DeStefano both said they were proud of the team’s overall performance in the tournament this time around.

“We didn’t play our best, but we did enough to get it done,” he said. “The win gives us confidence for the next few weeks, which are big for us.”

The men face both Texas and Texas A&M in the coming weeks in Austin and College Station.

“These will be the best fields we play on all season,” Knost said. “It is very important that we play well.”

Knost has a positive outlook for the remainder of the year.

“I’m looking forward to the next few tournaments,” he said. “This win give us momentum for the rest of the season.”