SMU seeks first conference win against Rice this weekend

The women’s soccer team will try to snap out of a three-game losing streak with a pair of home contests against Conference USA opponents Rice and Houston this weekend.

After being shut out by No. 2 Portland on Sept. 20, the Mustangs (2-7-0, 0-2-0 C-USA) dropped consecutive road matches to Colorado College and the University of Texas-El Paso to begin conference play.

In the team’s C-USA home opener Friday, SMU hopes to improve on a 10-2 all time record against Rice.

For the Owls (2-6-2, 0-2-0), senior forward Erin Scott leads the team in assists (2), points (6) and shots (23). She and junior defender Korey Taylor have accounted for 40 percent of Rice’s shots this season.

Junior goalkeeper Meghan Erkel has allowed just over one goal per game in 934 minutes for the Owls.

SMU will take a perfect all-time record of 9-0 into its match-up with the University of Houston Sunday.

Sophomore forward Jessica Zavalza leads the Cougars (3-6-0, 1-1-0) with six points, two goals and two assists. Meanwhile, goalkeeper Lauren Frazier has recorded 47 saves against 12 goals this season.

For the Mustangs, midfielder Leslie Briggs and forwards Logan May and Kenzie Scovill have paced the offense through the first nine games.

A transfer from the University of North Carolina, Briggs has taken a team-high 20 shots while equaling Scovill for the team lead in goals (3). May and Scovill have each contributed nine shots-on-goal, and all three players have racked up six points.

SMU enters the weekend as the C-USA leader in average home attendance (652), nearly doubling last year’s average total (376). The team plays its next four games in a row and seven of nine at home.

The Mustangs will kick off against Rice Friday at 7 p.m. before facing the Houston Cougars Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Both games will be held at SMU’s Westcott Field.

Sunday’s game will be televised on CBS College Sports, with Ann Schatz and Tammy Blackburn making the call.