‘Salute to the Mustangs’ brings second mascot to campus

Peruna will soon be joined on the field and Boulevard by a mustang, as part of Madeline Pickens’ “Salute to the Mustangs” event to be unveiled on Oct.17 at the SMU football game against Navy.

Alongside her husband, T.Boone Pickens, Madeline, along with SMU head football coach June Jones, SMU President R. Gerald Turner, and NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Roger Staubach unveiled the campaign at the Mustang Plaza in front of Moody Coliseum on Wednesday.

As part of the plan, Madeline and her husband will be presenting Turner, Jones and the SMU community with a trained Mustang.

Jones expressed his interest in the effort, saying he is proud to join Madeline and has even reached out to thousands of high schools, colleges and other professional teams associated with horses in an effort to attract more attention to Madeline’s campaign.

“I believe in Madeleine and I believe in this cause,” Junes said. “What better connection than to have the head football coach of the Mustangs, the only FBS Division I school with that mascot name, be part of this mission.”

The “Salute to the Mustangs” event will include a fly over and parachuters carrying the game ball into Ford Stadium during pre-game festivities. Western Music Hall of Fame inductee Michael Martin Murphy will perform his Platinum recording, “Wildfire,” and a tribute to the United States Armed Forces, Wounded Warriors, United States War Dogs Association and Vet Dogs will take place at half time.

“One of my life’s passions is to protect and save America’s wild horses; a living symbol of our American heritage and freedom,” Madeline said. “We thought the perfect game would be against Navy, as we can not only salute the American mustang, but we also can salute the men and women of our Armed Forces.”

Members of the 25-member Advisory Committee include chairman June Jones, Troy Aikman, Mark Cuban, Jerry Jones, Roger Staubach and Rudy Ruettiger.